Truths and Myths of Synthetic Cannabinoid vs. Marijuana
Around 3000 years ago, marijuana was used for its recreational and medical purposes. But today, legalization of Marijuana faces many controversies, despite the fact that it has medical benefits to cure many lethal diseases.
Scientists, researchers, and doctors created synthetic cannabinoid due to the abolishment of marijuana. But studies say that consuming synthetic marijuana is dangerous.
A study at U.S. poison control center shows that they received more than 31,000 calls due to side-effects of synthetic marijuana between 2011 and 2017.
But what makes synthetic cannabinoid harmful and natural marijuana beneficial?
WHAT IS SYNTHETIC MARIJUANA?
With the prohibition on marijuana, the demand for synthetic cannabinoid rocketed. It was created with chemical compounds that produce similar effects as natural marijuana but it was artificially synthesized.
Drugs like K2 and Spice, which are commonly known as synthetic marijuana, are dried plants sprayed with active drugs. The absence of the main natural compound – THC, makes the synthetic compound 100 times more potent which, in turn, strongly affects the brain.
ADVANTAGES OF SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID
The disadvantages of synthetic cannabinoids are more than advantages. But some synthetic cannabinoids such as Dronabinol and liquid form of Dronabinol – Nabilone are said to be FDA approved for medicinal purposes.
- These synthetic medicines help in treating nausea and vomiting connected with cancer chemotherapy.
- Containing a component of Marijuana – synthetic delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), Dronabinol benefits the patients who suffer from lost appetite and weight loss in people suffering from AIDS.
- A limited synthetic cannabinoid is also helpful for therapeutic use.
DISADVANTAGES OF SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID
- The dangerous side effects of synthetic cannabinoid sometimes include hallucinations, violent behaviors, headaches, stomach problems, and depression if used for a longer period.
- Many-a-times people have also suffered memory loss and paralysis as the long-term side effects.
- People who smoke synthetic cannabinoids also suffer rapid heart rate, nausea, anxiety, and illusions.
Now let us study the plant which gave birth to the synthetic cannabinoid – Marijuana.
WHAT IS MARIJUANA?
Controversial Marijuana entails two chemical components – Cannabinoid and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which makes it apt for medicinal use. These THC components are also responsible for affecting the brain. Which, in turn, makes a person high.
Advantages of Marijuana
- When THC hits the brain cells, it releases dopamine which makes you feel euphoric.
- Many studies show that marijuana can help in treating epileptic seizures. The active component THC is responsible for controlling seizures by adjusting impulsiveness and regulating relaxation.
- The cannabinoids in marijuana block bacteria from entering the intestines, preventing permeability. This helps patients with inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
- The enzymes that make amyloid plaques, THC blocks them in the brain. Ultimately assisting in reducing the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cannabidiol found in marijuana also prevents the formation of cancer cells. The active elements in marijuana also break the cancer cells. Hence, it prevents cancer from spreading.
Disadvantages of Marijuana
- The chemicals of marijuana affect the brain and alter the way information is processed and memories are formed. But this component also shows positive effects on Alzheimer’s patients.
- If used for a longer period of time, marijuana increases depressive symptoms.
- The common side effects reported by 20-30% of recreational drug users are anxiety, fear, and panic. If consumed large doses, it also results in hallucinations.
Hence, the researches and doctors both conclude that the effects of synthetic cannabinoids are fatal. Until and unless prescribed, consumption of synthetic cannabinoid or marijuana can result in dangerous health conditions.